120 Years of RUSD - A Look Back...
On Saturday, April 9, 2011, the Rialto Unified School District celebrated its 120th Birthday.
In 1888 the Rialto School District’s “first” schoolhouse was built on the corner of Second and Palm Street in Rialto. It was actually on April 9, 1891 that the Rialto School District was formed out of the Brooke District. The “Unified” part will later be incorporated.
Mr. George W. Beattie was the County Superintendent of Schools in 1891. The first members of the Rialto School Board includedJ.W. Craig, M.V. Sweesy, and M.E. Foulke. Between 1889 and 1901 there were only two teachers in the District. For many years, Mrs. Emma Hodge was the primary teacher, and Mr. Morgan Hodge was the Principal, but he also taught grades fourth through eighth.
With the assistance of Jean Randall (who provided all vintage photos), the Town Historian, John Adams, RUSD Ground Supervisor Brian Montez, please click on the historical timeline celebrating the history of our RUSD.