Welcome to Wellness Wednesdays! Each week we will update this space with useful information and videos related to mental and physical wellness support for our RUSD staff. Enjoy!
Physical Fitness with Denise Lopez
Eisenhower High School SAI teacher
Please join Denise Lopez, Eisenhower High School SAI teacher, for an informative 10-week video series on physical fitness. The series schedule is listed below.Week 1: Workstation Stretches
Week 2: Upper-body Workstation Exercises
Week 3: Lower-body Workstation Exercises
Week 4: Upper-body Theraband Exercises
Week 5: Lower-body Theraband Exercises
Week 6: Physio Ball Exercises
Week 7: Proprioception Exercises
Week 8: AB Workout
Week 9: Dynamic Stretches
Week 10: Full Body Workout
Recipes with Chef Theo
Each week Theophilus Crawford, Culinary Instructor, will share a great recipe with staff. Enjoy!
Salted Honey Pie
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 8-10 Slices
Refrigerated pie crust
4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups (600ml) heavy whipping cream
1 cup (144g) unpacked light brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (120ml) honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
Sea salt, optional
- Prepare the pie crust in a deep dish 8-inch pie pan, or a 9-inch pie pan, and set it in the fridge. Do not pre-bake it. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the egg yolks to a large bowl. Set aside.
- To make the filling, heat the heavy cream, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan on medium heat until it comes to a rolling boil, stirring regularly. It should start to thicken.
- Once the mixture comes to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Temper the eggs by adding a little bit of the cream mixture to the eggs and whisking, then adding a little more. Add the remaining cream mixture and stir until combined and smooth.
- Add the honey and vanilla extract to the custard and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes. It will bubble up and start to brown on top.
- Remove the pie from the oven. It will still be pretty jiggly. Set it on the counter to cool until it comes to room temperature. It will firm up as it sits.
- Refrigerate the pie until it’s cold and fully firm.
- Sprinkle the sea salt onto the pie and serve.
Mental Health Resources
Each week we will share content related to mental health, giving RUSD employees resources to maintain and improve their mental health.
This week, let's talk about GROWTH MINDSET! Think about the positives in any situation. You can do it! Please take a look at this graphic about how to embrace a growth mindset.