Masking Update (2/15/22)
Dear RUSD Families and Colleagues,
In mid-December 2021, California, including San Bernardino County, began to experience an increase in positive
COVID-19 cases. As a result, State health officials reinstated the universal indoor masking requirement. While the
number of positive cases peaked in January 2022, COVID-19 cases have significantly decreased since that time.
Accordingly, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has made the decision to end the universal indoor
masking requirement for the public, excluding students and staff in K-12 school sites, effective February 16, 2022.
Guidelines at School Sites (California Department of Public Health - CDPH - K-12 School Guidance)
- Face coverings are required indoors in K-12 schools, childcare facilities or programs, school buses and
other youth settings, for all students and employees, regardless of vaccination status
- Face coverings are not required in most outdoor settings for all students and employees, regardless of
- Face coverings are not required for fully vaccinated employees indoors, after school hours, and when not
sharing space with students
- Student and employees who are not fully vaccinated are encouraged to wear face coverings in crowded
- Guidelines at Non-School Sites (California Occupational Safety and Health Administration - Cal-OSHA)
- Fully vaccinated employees do not need to wear face coverings except for certain situations during
- Employees are not required to wear face coverings when outdoors regardless of vaccination status except
for certain employees during outbreaks
- Face coverings are required indoors for unvaccinated employees
- A service area that is regularly and routinely visited by students is considered an “other youth setting” and
must follow the CDPH K-12 School Guidance
Please continue to practice COVID-19 safety guidelines. Our team will continue to update you of changes as they
are communicated to us by the CDPH. For additional information on COVID-19 related policies and procedures
please reference our website at www.rialtousd.org.
Cuauhtémoc Avila, Ed.D.
Rialto Unified School District Superintendent