Facts About English Learners



  • Goal 

    The California Department of Education (CDE) provides assistance to local schools and districts to achieve the following goals:

    • Ensure that English learners acquire full proficiency in English as rapidly and effectively as possible and attain parity with native speakers of English.

    • Ensure that English learners, within a reasonable period of time, achieve the same rigorous grade-level academic standards that are expected of all students.
  • Basic Facts—California Language Census: Fall 2021

    English learners are a significant portion of California public school students:

    • The 1,127,648 English learners constitute 18.10 percent of the total enrollment in California public schools.

    • A total of 2,360,744 students (English Learners and Fluent English Proficient) speak a language other than English in their homes. This number represents about 40.1 percent of the state's public school enrollment.

    • The majority of English learners (65.9 percent) are enrolled in the elementary grades, kindergarten through grade six. The rest (34.1 percent) are enrolled in the secondary grades, seven through twelve, and in the ungraded category.